July 28, 2021
During a Special School Board meeting on Wednesday, July 28, The School Board of Broward County, Florida discussed back to school plans and protocols for the upcoming 2021/22 school year. In light of the recent release of updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the School Board voted to continue its mandatory masks requirement to begin the school year.
Below are highlights from the school reopening plan discussion:
- Face coverings will be mandatory for students, staff and visitors at all schools and District facilities.
- No masks will be required when outdoors.
- Schools should maintain at least three feet of physical distancing between students within classrooms.
- Standard seating capacity will resume on school buses.
- School cafeterias will open for meal service through the traditional food service line.
- All sports and athletic facilities are now open.
- Laptops will continue to be issued to students who need them.
- The District will continue to provide two nurses per school and offer voluntary COVID-19 tests at all schools.a
- Cleaning and disinfection of schools and District facilities will be continued and everyone will be encouraged to do their part in preventing the spread of COVID-19 through frequent hand washing and staying home when sick.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 18, with 100% face to face learning on all campuses. District staff remain in communication with health experts to ensure the safety of our students, staff and school communities.
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“Committed to educating all students to reach their highest potential.”
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth largest school district in the nation and the second largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has nearly 261,500 students and approximately 110,000 adult students in 241 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 93 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population, with students representing 170 different countries and 147 different languages. To connect with BCPS, visit browardschools.com, follow us on Twitter @browardschools, on Facebook at facebook.com/browardschools.com and download the free BCPS mobile app.